Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Joe's Cafe - So long old friend

I stopped by Joe's a couple weeks back to say hello to an old friend. To sit at the bar, have a margarita and enjoy a chat with the locals. I was saddened to learn that my old friend had gone in for some plastic surgery. While the face lift removed the wrinkles and cracks, Joe was no longer the friend I remembered. Completely depressing to find that at my mid life I am opposed to such change.

It appears that Joe's is going to compete with the rest of State Street to attract the tourists wandering up the road. The tourists who want a clean, freshly painted, stark environment to sit and have a quick meal. Whereas, us locals, no longer have our beloved site to sit and enjoy seeing old friends without enduring paint fumes and lack of nostalgic paintings, photos, and animal heads. I never thought I'd care so much for a buffalo head, but there you have it.

Rumor is the new owner who made all these changes is going to either sell the wall coverings or give them to a museum of sorts. Who knew, all these years we were drinking in a verifiable museum. Ahh, how I long for the old days. Thank goodness the bartenders have not left and the drinks are still stiff. At least helps numb the dramatic change. Along with the new jukebox and cute hostesses. You will have to go on up to Harry's to say hello to me and lament the good old days.

No comments: